Applicants holding a professional degree in architecture, landscape architecture, urban design, or urban planning are encouraged to apply to the MS in architecture program, though applicants in related disciplines such as management, engineering, geography, environmental, graphic or product design may also be admitted at the discretion of the admissions committee in consultation with program administrators.
Our MS is a STEM Designated Degree by the U.S. Student and Exchange Visitor Program.
- Apply to Syracuse University Graduate School
Online application is preferred. Application fee of $75. Deadline: January 3. Admission decisions will be sent via email in March.
- Submit an online portfolio of creative and/or professional work in architecture, the visual arts, design, and/or affiliated fields.
You must submit your portfolio online through your Syracuse University applicant portal. You will receive access to your Syracuse University applicant portal 2-3 business days after completing your application. After the application deadline has passed, you have 24 hours from receiving access to your portal to upload your portfolio.
- Submit an application essay.
To better understand the unique strengths of your application and the goals that have motivated you to pursue graduate study at Syracuse Architecture, we require brief answers to two essay prompts. Please answer each in approximately 500 words.
What are your primary academic interests, how do you see advancing them in the MS program at Syracuse Architecture, and how do wish to incorporate them into your future plans after you receive your degree?
Within the specialization area of the MS you are applying, what do you see as the most urgent issue that architects are facing, and how could you see yourself addressing this?
- Writing Sample
Please submit an English-language writing sample that you have already completed and that you believe represents your personal interests and writing skills. This may be anything from a brief, one-page academic assignment or self-initiated writing to a published or presented paper. The writing sample helps the admissions committee understand not your written communication abilities and how you write outside of the graduate admissions process.
An official transcript from every college/university you have attended is required. Transcript request forms that can be mailed to prior institutions are included in the online application.
- Three letters of recommendation
Individuals providing recommendations should be registered through the on-line application process to submit their letters of recommendation electronically. If this is not possible, a confidential letter of recommendation may be directed to the Graduate Admissions Processing Center in a sealed envelope with the person’s signature written across the seal of the envelope.
- GRE recommended but not required. The exam scores will only be accepted when sent electronically by ETS (Educational Testing Service). Please go here for more specific information about GRE exam dates and times. The Syracuse University institution code for submitting GRE test scores is 2823.
Additional requirements for International applicants
- To enable Syracuse University to issue the I-20 form for obtaining a student visa, international applicants must submit financial documents with their application demonstrating that they have secured sufficient funding for at least their first year of graduate study. A current bank statement on official bank letterhead signed by an authorized bank official, indicating that sufficient funds exist to meet at least the first year of expenses, should be submitted as evidence of such funding.
- English Language proficiency exam scores are required for all students whose native language is not English. We accept a wide variety of exams including TOEFL, IELTS, and Pearson and Duolingo*.
*Due to testing centers administering TOEFL and IELTS exams closing due to the coronavirus, we are now accepting the Duolingo English Test for the spring/fall 2023. This is a convenient, fast, and affordable option. The exam can be taken anywhere provided you have a computer and a quiet work space.
TOEFL exam scores for all students whose native language is not English. Admission to the MS program requires a TOEFL IBT score of 95 or higher or an IELTS score of 7 or higher. If an international student has a TOEFL or IELTS score that is below the required score they may be conditionally admitted and then fully admitted upon completion of summer sessions at the Syracuse University English Language Institute. For more information about classes offered through the ELI please visit SU English Language Institute.