The School of Architecture provides extensive resources to assist individuals in managing their personal career beginning with their first semester of study and continuing as an alumnus/ae of the School. Workshops and individual advising sessions address topics such as:
- resumes and professional correspondence
- portfolio and sample page review
- internship and job search strategies
- networking and LinkedIn best practices
- interviewing techniques
- job offer evaluation and salary negotiation
- AXP assistance and licensure
- graduate school and personal statements
We host specialty programs and events throughout the academic year and adjust programming to align with industry trends and a shifting recruiting landscape. At many of these events, employers meet with students to promote their firm brand and showcase opportunities.
- The fall Career Fair is our first career event of the academic year. This year the School of Architecture co-hosted a Virtual STEM Career Fair with the College of Engineering & Computer Science (ECS) and School of Information Studies (iSchool). Students were able to connect with alumni and recruiters through virtual 1:1 and group sessions.
- Professional Portfolio Reviews are offered throughout the academic year. These reviews provide a productive platform for employers and alumni to meet with students of all class years, sharing feedback and building connections.
- The Internship Expo promotes networking and internship options as students act as firm ambassadors and share their experience with peers.
- In the spring, the School of Architecture hosts Architect Interview Days with over 60 firms holding interviews on campus with pre-selected candidates. Typically, firms reserve an interview date and post positions for full-time and summer opportunities in December-January, and then conduct interviews in February-March.
Note: Architect Interview Days will be scheduled for March 8 - 19, 2021 and will be conducted virtually. Interview days can also be scheduled before and after these dates to accommodate the hiring needs of our employer partners.
- Workshops and networking events are held throughout the year to foster engagement between students, alumni and employers. Past events include alumni and employer panels, meet & greet receptions and topical presentations.
Internship & Entry Level Positions
Syracuse University uses a centralized career services platform, Handshake, to post employment opportunities and events for students and recent graduates (0-5 years).
Note: During summers and breaks, students may choose to work in paid internships to develop professional skills and earn hours for the Architectural eXperience Program (AXP). Most states require completion of AXP and the national Architecture Registration Exam before awarding state licensure.
Job opportunities (5+ years) are posted on LinkedIn for alumni review in the School’s Syracuse Architecture Career Services page.
connect with uS
- Connect with the School of Architecture via the Syracuse Architecture Career Services page and join a network of over 4,000 individuals affiliated with the Architecture and Planning industry.
Outcomes/first destination survey
Syracuse University publishes a First Destination Survey every spring for a snapshot of where graduates have landed post-graduation. To view the survey, click here.