B.S Architectural Engineering,Hanyang University, Korea; M.S.Civil Engineering, University of California at Berkeley; Ph.D. Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Junho Chun’s research interests include structural design and topology optimization under natural hazard, random vibrations, systematic treatment of uncertainty, reliability and risk analysis, and resilient infrastructure design.
Previous work experience includes working for 3 years as a structural engineer at architectural and engineering firm Skidmore, Owings and Merrill (SOM), LLP, in Chicago. There he was involved in diverse aspects of structural design from schematic designs to construction documents. He participated in projects around the world including 510-meter Busan Lotte Town Tower in Korea; 303-meter Jiangxi Nanchang Greenland Central Plaza, Jiangxi, China; 211-meter China Merchants Tower in Shenzhen, China; 303-meter Ninth Avenue Tower in New York, City, as well as the international design competition for 640-meter Seoul Light Digital Media City Tower in Seoul, Korea.
Buildings and Projects
- Ninth Avenue, New York, USA
- Burj Aloula, Saudi Arabia
- China Merchants Tower, Shenzhen, China
- Jiangxi Nanchang Greenland Central Plaza, Jiangxi, China
- Tanggu Convention, Tianjin, China
- Busan Lotte Town Tower, Busan, Korea
- Tianjin Modern City, Tianjin, China
- BBVA Bancomer Operations Center, Mexico City, Mexico
- Seoul Light Digital Media City Tower, Seoul, Korea
Grants and Awards
- International Civil Engineering Risk and Reliability Association (CERRA) Student Recognition Award, 2015
- Karol Fellowship (2011) from University of Illinois,, Urbana-Champaign, 2011
- Distinguished Overseas Fellowship, Hanyang University, 2006
Peer-reviewed journal articles
- Chun, J., Song, J., Paulino, G.H. (2015). Parameter sensitivity of system reliability using sequential compounding method. Structural safety, 55:26−36.
- Chun, J., Song, J., Paulino, G.H. (2016). Structural topology optimization under constraints on instantaneous failure probability. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization. 53(4):773-799.
- Filipov*, E.T., Chun*, J, Paulino, G.H., Song, J. (2016). Polygonal multiresolution topology optimization (PolyMTOP) for structural dynamics. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 53(4): 673-694. (*equal contribution from both authors)
- Chun, J., Song, J., Paulino, G.H. System reliability-based design and topology optimization of structures constrained by first passage probability. Under review.
- Chun, J., Paulino, G.H, Song, J. Reliability-based topology optimization for truss structures using a discrete filtering method. Under review.
- Chun, J. (2006). A Study on bond characteristics of untensioned strands. Hanyang University Press.
- Chun, J., Song, J., Paulino, G.H. (2015). Topology optimization of structures under constraints on first passage probability. 12th International Conference on Applications of Statistics and Probability in Civil Engineering. Vancouver, Canada.
- Chun, J., Song, J., Paulino, G. H. (2013). System reliability–based topology optimization for structures under stochastic excitations. 11th International Conference on Structural Safety & Reliability. New York, NY.
- Chun, J., Song, J., Paulino, G. H. (2012). Topology optimization of structures under stochastic excitations. Joint Conference of the Engineering Mechanics Institute and the 11th ASCE Joint Specialty Conference on Probabilistic Mechanics and Structural Reliability. Notre Dame, IN.