Prior to registering for a course at an outside institution, students must have the course approved for credit transfer by completing the Transfer Course Petition form. Send the completed form, along with the course description, to the related department at Syracuse University for review. University department contact information can be found here.

Once approved, return the form to your academic advisor, and register for the class. Upon completing the course, request that an official transcript be sent directly to the School of Architecture.  If the institution provides official transcripts electronically, request that the transcript be emailed directly to your academic advisor. Otherwise official transcripts can be mailed to: Syracuse Architecture, 201 Slocum Hall, Syracuse NY 13244. 

Transfer credit rules/policies

  • Credit will only be accepted to Syracuse University following the transfer credit guidelines found in the Academic Rules of the Syracuse University Course Catalog.
  • A grade of “C” or higher is required for transfer credit to be accepted.
  • Courses taken pass/fail will not be accepted for transfer credit.
  • The grade does not transfer, only the credit.
  • Once matriculated, requests to take courses at other institutions to fulfill School of Architecture professional degree requirements must petition each substitution in advance to their academic advisor and the professor teaching the corresponding architecture course at Syracuse University. Petitions for architecture courses must include a complete course syllabus, bibliography and other course requirements. Requests for design transfer credit will be reviewed by the chair of the undergraduate program.