The Architecture Reading Room contains a wide variety of materials to support you in your studies. Remember - if you can’t find it in six seconds, ask a librarian!
- General stack books - many architecture and related books commonly used by students and staff with a 1 week loan period.
- Books on reserve - items which are heavily used, and are located behind the reference desk with a 2 hour loan period.
- Current architectural periodicals are kept on display, but are available to be checked out with a 2 hour loan period.
- Older issues are bound into larger volumes and stored in either Bird Library (generally on the 4th Floor) or in the Carnegie Sci/Tech Library.
- Back issues of select titles are housed in the Reading Room, including: El Croquis; Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians; Detail; Hunch; 2G
- The Syracuse University Library has accumulated a collection of over 280 sets of working drawings from various sources. These are commonly used for the Advanced Building Systems class, but are openly available for reference.
- Working drawings are stored in flat file drawers by call number, which can be looked up online or in a binder at the reference desk.
- Working drawings DO NOT CIRCULATE. They are only meant for use in the Reading Room. There are electronic files of select buildings available - ask for assistance at the reference desk.
- If needed, working drawings can be copied through Syracuse Blueprint, although this does take a few days and the cost depends on format and amount of drawings copied.
- The library is currently building a collection of physical material samples, which can be checked out for a 2 hour loan period. These are currently stored behind the reference desk - Please ask for assistance.
Thesis / Thesis Prep Books
- A selection of past theses with a grade of B+ or better are kept in the Reading Room for reference. These can be checked out for a 2 hour loan period.
- Some Superjury and award candidates are available for viewing online through SUrface.
- VHS and DVDs are kept behind the reference desk. Please ask for assistance.
- The Reading Room houses recordings of the School of Architecture Lecture Series: DVD recordings - Fall 2007 to present; VHS recordings - Fall 1996 to present