Applicants holding a professional degree in architecture, landscape architecture, urban design, or urban planning are encouraged to apply to the MS in architecture program, though applicants in related disciplines such as management, engineering, geography, environmental, graphic or product design may also be admitted at the discretion of the admissions committee in consultation with program administrators.
- Apply to Syracuse University Graduate School
Online application is preferred. Application fee of $75. Deadline: January 15 (January 10 for SU African American Fellowship and McNair Fellowship applicants). Admission decisions will be sent via email in March.
- Submit an online portfolio of creative and/or professional work in architecture, the visual arts, design, and/or affiliated fields. Video submission is optional.
- Submit a personal statement of purpose.
Submit a statement of your general academic plans: your main academic interests; why you wish to study in the MS program; why you wish to study at Syracuse University; and your future plans after you receive your degree. (Length: No more than 300 words; one page)
- Research proposal
Please submit a brief research proposal outlining clear intellectual interests and educational objectives and demonstrating preparedness for the demands of the program.
An official transcript from every college/university you have attended is required. Transcript request forms that can be mailed to prior institutions are included in the online application.
- Three letters of recommendation
Individuals providing recommendations should be registered through the on-line application process to submit their letters of recommendation electronically. If this is not possible, a confidential letter of recommendation may be directed to the Graduate Admissions Processing Center in a sealed envelope with the person’s signature written across the seal of the envelope.
- GRE recommended but not required. The exam scores will only be accepted when sent electronically by ETS (Educational Testing Service). Please go here for more specific information about GRE exam dates and times. The Syracuse University institution code for submitting GRE test scores is 2823.
Additional requirements for International applicants
- Form SUIA, included in the graduate application form. Form SUIA must be submitted along with the graduate application. Please be sure that the spelling of your name is consistent on all application materials and is written exactly as it appears on your passport.
- To enable Syracuse University to issue the I-20 form for obtaining a student visa, international applicants must submit financial documents with their application demonstrating that they have secured sufficient funding for at least their first year of graduate study. A current bank statement on official bank letterhead signed by an authorized bank official, indicating that sufficient funds exist to meet at least the first year of expenses, should be submitted as evidence of such funding.
- TOEFL exam scores for all students whose native language is not English. Admission to the M.Arch program requires a TOEFL IBT score of 100 or higher or an IELTS score of 7.5 or higher. If an international student has a TOEFL or IELTS score that is below the required score they may be conditionally admitted and then fully admitted upon completion of summer sessions at the Syracuse University English Language Institute. For more information about classes offered through the ELI please visit SU English Language Institute.