class registration and important dates
The School of Architecture is thrilled to welcome you to our program that begins on Monday, August 24. Since August will be here before we know it, we are sure you have questions about class registration and important dates.
As a result of further developments since our recent information sessions, we are scheduling our academic advising sessions this summer before orientation week so that you may begin registering for classes as soon as graduate registration opens on August 3. We will be hosting three online advising sessions on the week of July 27, one for each of our incoming program cohorts. Invitations to the meetings will be sent to your @syr.edu email address under separate cover early next week.
We are also including below a full schedule of important academic dates for the upcoming term. More details on these dates will be shared during our advising sessions.
- Monday, July 27, 9:00 AM EDT: advising session for the 98 credit track MArch new student cohort
- Tuesday, July 28, 9:00 AM EDT: advising session for the 76 credit track MArch new student cohort
- Thursday, July 30, 10:00 AM EDT: advising session for the Master of Science new student cohort
- Monday August 3, 10:00 AM EDT: class registration begins. Please be sure to register for your classes on this date, especially if you plan to take electives.
- Week of August 17: online graduate program orientation
- Friday, August 21– Sunday, August 23: optional schedule adjustment as required, based on the results of any equivalent credit exams you may have taken during orientation week.
- Monday, August 24: Classes begin. Be sure that you have registered before this date to avoid late fees from the Registrar’s Office, as well as to gain access to Blackboard and assure you are on the class roster for grading and communications. For those of you intending to travel to Syracuse for the start of classes, this is the ideal date by which you would be able to attend classes in person. We understand that this may be challenging in light of travel planning and restrictions, including the NYS quarantine for those travelling from identified states. Anyone facing these restrictions may begin classes online and join in person at a later date.
- Monday, August 31: Last day to add classes for credit. If you intend to enroll in any courses online or in person, as a full-time or part-time student for Fall 2020, you must add your classes by this date at the latest. We strongly encourage all students to enroll in any courses by Monday August 24, however, for reasons stated above.
- Monday, September 7: Last day to elect to audit a class.
- Monday, September 14: Academic/Financial Drop Deadline. This is the last day to drop courses for the Fall 2020 term and still be refunded your tuition.
- Wednesday, November 18: Withdrawal Deadline. This is the last day to withdraw from classes such that a grade will not appear on your transcript. (No refunds are given for classes withdrawn after the academic/financial drop deadline.)
Note that academic deadline dates are based on the university’s academic calendar, and are always subject to change. The current university calendar is available at syracuse.edu/academics/calendars.
We look forward to seeing you online at the end of this month!
Considerations for international graduate students
ICE Issues ‘New International Student’ Guidance (July 24)
The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement issued new guidance specific to new international students. We recognize these shifting polices continue to cause unnecessary anxiety, fear and frustration for our international student community. However, this directive should not have a significant impact on our Syracuse University students. Read full update >>
ICE Rescinds Directive Affecting International Students (July 14)
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has rescinded its July 6 directive that international students who planned to enroll only in online classes would not be permitted to remain in the United States. Read full update >